This year has taught me so much about life and what it really means. It surprises me how little I know and how much there still is to learn. A truly fulfilled life is only possible when you commit to continuous learning.
Who knows, in a few years I’ll probably look at this article and think to myself how amateur I was at this moment in my life.
Here are 41 truths about life I have learned this year:
1. You must love yourself first and talk nicely to yourself. Self-talk changes everything.
2. Minimalism will help accent what you love. Too much stuff will distract you.
3. Forgiveness is power. Holding onto stuff hurts you more than anyone else.
4. Most of the answers you seek are right in front of them. You’ve been ignoring these answers because they seem cliché and obvious. Stop doing this.
5. No one has all the answers
6. The success you see in other people is only 1% of their life. Most of what you can’t see is the negativity and failures they endure. Spend more time going beyond people’s success.
7. Your mind is determining how you feel. If you feel crap, change the inputs of your mind.
8. Happiness is found in the simple stuff. If you’re not happy, you’re trying to overcomplicate it.
9. Being kind to people always feels good.
10. Anyone can be inspiring including you.
11. Business is about rallying people together. It’s not about an idea, or one person, or even coming up with something entirely new. Understand people and you’ll master business.
12. Time is the currency you should guard with your life. Measure and watch your time.
13. Sometimes, lack of planning is the best thing you can do. You can’t predict every outcome and spontaneity adds to the fun of life.
14. We need balance. Balance between work, travel, love, family and everything in-between.
15. You have advice that can help people. Share it and be a part of other people’s journeys.
16. The workforce has changed. Emotional intelligence, life experience and leadership are now at the top of desirable business traits.
17. Nothing stays the same so don’t expect it to (especially as you get older).
18. Learning to say no will give you the time to pursue your dream.
19. Be honest no matter what. Tell people what you think respectfully and they’ll love you for it.
20. Ideas mean nothing. Execution trumps all.
21. The ability to make decisions quickly will help you progress in life much quicker.
22. Reality is different for everyone so quit expecting people to see exactly what you see.
23. No one has time to dwell on your problems. They have enough of their own. So, make as many mistakes as you want and don’t be afraid what people think.
24. Fear can be controlled and once you get started, you’ll forget about it anyway. Let fear excite you and tell you that you’re breaking your comfort zone which is phenomenal.
25. Money is boring. Wisdom is far more exciting.
26. There’s no time like the present to do that thing you’ve always dreamed about. Stop delaying as you may not get the chance to do that one thing ever again.
27. Your career is defined by who you are as a person and nothing else. Experience and skills can be learned.
28. Courage takes guts and it’s the first step to being a leader.
29. Criticism and negative opinions about your life’s work are a sign that you’re making progress.
30. Doing things that inspire you is the best feeling in the world. Chase that.
31. The game of racking up possessions never ends. You can never own everything and everything you collect will get boring quickly. The best collection you can have is enjoyable memories.
32. Your dream, passion, goal is not going to find you. You must find it and that takes work.
33. The stuff you’re the most scared of is the very thing that will help you grow. Growing is a must.
34. Lying never helps you win in the long-term. The damage it causes is often hidden, but its effect will ruin your life if you don’t stop it.
35. The notifications on your devices are screwing with your head. Turn all of them off and see the difference it makes.
36. Your life is a piece of art so use it to do something creative.
37. Sabotage TV for books and podcasts. That’s how you learn and get new ideas.
38. Remember that rules are just a guideline and they are open to interpretation. Nothing is absolute.
39. What will improve your life is giving up those things you know deep inside of you are bad for you. You know what they are. Kill them off one by one.
40. Quotes are profound and they can give you your own unique mantra to live your life by. Find a few that have meaning to you and put them where you can see them.
41. There’s no limit on greed. There’s no such thing as quick money. If you win once, you’ll get complacent and lose next time around or the time after that.
If you want to increase your productivity and learn some more valuable life hacks, then join my private mailing list on timdenning.net